Who is Kington Gets Active?
Kingston Gets Active (KGA) is a community-wide initiative made up of partners from multiple sectors. KGA addresses the need for a multi-level approach to physical activity promotion by targeting various areas of community life such as educational and promotional activities; social marketing and communication; and infrastructure and public policy strategies.
Our vision is that all Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington (KFL&A) residents are physically active every day.
To promote, encourage, and support citizens to be physically active on a daily basis and physically literate through collaborative planning, community action, and policy advocacy.
- To increase access to opportunities to be physically active to all KFL&A residents by reducing barriers to individual behavior change.
- To ensure more equitable access through promotion of free and low cost activities to target populations.
- To work together as a community partnership to link resources, events and opportunities in order to enhance sustainability and reduce duplication of services.
- To create supportive environments in which our citizens learn, commute, work and play.
- To increase visits to the KGA website by 10% every year, as a result of promoting opportunities to be physically active and KGA collaborative initiatives.
- To implement training for volunteers, parents, teachers and rural youth by April 2020.
- To increase the number of teachers (by 10%) and parents (by 5%) who are knowledgeable of physical literacy through training workshops by April 2020.
- To address policy advocacy through input to the City of Kingston Parks and Recreation Master Plan, and Ontario Curriculum support through teachers’ professional development.